Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Shapes Galore!

We have started geometry and I am in love! Geometry was one of my favorite subjects as a child. I loved solving proofs, finding missing angles, etc. Obviously it is not that extensive in Third Grade, but it is still a lot of information to take in. These next few ideas are ones that I have created in hopes of making it easier for my students.

This first activity I used with identifying 3D shapes. It involved the students looking for the amount of vertices, edges, bases, and faces. I have 3D shapes that the students were able to look at in order to complete the table. They seemed to enjoy the independence of this activity as well as the problem solving aspect. Click on the title of the document for your own free copy. The format is a little funky, but I am sure you could try and rearrange it.



The other creation I used is a Smartboard Notebook presentation. It starts with polygons, classifying them into triangles, quadrilaterals, pentagons, etc. Then it breaks them down by shape, so there is a page about triangles and a page about quadrilaterals. I have continued to add on to it as we go, so it is somewhat a work in progress. I think it gives a good visual of how to classify triangles and quadrilaterals.
Click here to download the presentation.
Let me know what you think!






1 comment:

  1. Hey Smitty !
    Good luck with your Blog - happy to see that it's up and flying.
    Love you,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete